green state gardner mural opportunity!
DEADLINE FOR PORTFOLIO SUBMISSIONS: March 31, 2017
Burlington City Arts, in partnership with Green State Gardener, is is seeking artist submissions for a public art mural project on Green State Gardener’s retail store at 388 Pine Street, Burlington, Vermont. Initial resumes and portfolios are due on March 31, 2017 (scroll down to the bottom of the page to submit documents). The project must be complete by June 24, 2017.
The budget for the selected final project is not to exceed $8,500, including time, materials, and installation costs.
March 31 — Deadline for portfolio submissions
April 3 — Selection of 5 finalists and notification
May 5 — Deadline for proposals
May 8 —Selection of final design
May 8-June 24 — Mural completion on-site (details to be arranged with Green State Gardeners)
Five finalists will receive $100 honorariums to develop full proposals. The artist(s) for the final selected design will be paid one-half of the project cost upon contract signing and the remaining one-half upon project completion.
This project asks artists to respond visually to Green State Gardener’s tagline Grow Your Own Health Revolution with a mural painted on their entrance façade.
Green State Gardener opened on Pine Street in the summer of 2016, adding to the rich landscape of Vermont socially responsibly businesses that align with Vermont values.
“Vermont is a state built on self-reliance and community—a desire to be connected to the earth as well as to one another. We lead the nation in protecting working landscapes, local and organic food, renewable energy, and natural, holistic health care.” -Green State Gardener website, see more at www.greenstategardener.com/about-us.
Green State Gardener’s provides urban gardeners with the best tools, materials, kits, and expert advice to grow, process and use their own plant-based medicines.
Artists, particularly finalists, are encouraged to visit the retail store and see more about Green State Gardener at www.greenstategardener.com/retail-store-Burlington-Vermont/
Specifications for Design
- The mural will be sited on the south side of the building.
- Design should maximize the scale and proportions of the location (approximately 25' w x 10.5' h)
- Design may integrate all existing architectural building elements outlined below.
- Facade includes painted concrete block, metal pipes and some wood.
- No words may be incorporated into the design.
Mural design may incorporate any surface within the highlighted green area above.
Selection of 5 Finalists
Green State Gardener staff will review portfolios from this RFQ to select 5 finalists based
portfolio quality, professionalism of submission materials, and previous experience that demonstrates the following:
- Ability of artist to carry out a project within budget and on time
- Ability of the artist to work within an active business location and remain flexible with project changes
Each finalist will receive $100 to develop a site-specific proposal incorporating themes from the project description. The Green State Gardener team will select one final proposal from the 5 finalists.
Criteria for Selection of Finalist Proposal
Final proposals submitted by five finalist artists (or artist teams) will be reviewed by the Green State Gardener team and a final design selected on the following criteria:
- Considers elements of existing architecture and infrastructure in design
- Responds to existing Green State Gardener materials and retail aesthetic
- Responds to the Grow Your Own Health Revolution with a bold visual concept that is provocative rather than controversial
- Proposal is coherent and well-presented
- Visual materials are professionally executed and provide clear and realistic renderings of artist painting/drawing style and impact of the design in context
Execution and Maintenance
- Durability of materials
Materials to be Submitted in Response to this RFQ:
- Current resume (.pdf)
- Cover letter including a brief description of the themes and approach to this project no more than one page long (.pdf)
- Link to online portfolio or PDF document of up to 10 past projects.
Materials to be Submitted for Full Proposals:
- Detailed scale rendering of proposed design (high res. jpg)*
- Perspective rendering of proposed design in context (high res. jpg)*
- Narrative description of proposed design and plan for execution (.pdf)
- Budget (should include time, materials, rental of equipment for installation, etc. Note that scaffolding will likely be needed for a design to reach the highest point of the building.)
*Designs may be shared with the public via social media and other means with credit to the artist.