search

Burlington City Arts

Foundations

Artist: 
Andrew Arp & Rivkah Medow

Waterfront Park parking lot
1998, oxidized copper
 
The Burlington Department of Public Works contracted Burlington City Arts’ public art program to provide a decorative element to a new parking lot adjacent to the foundation wall of the former Pease Grain Company, a fixture on the Burlington Waterfront from the late 1800’s to the 1970’s. The site had become dilapidated and marked with graffiti in the period prior to the renewal of the Waterfront. Created from oxidized copper panels with swirling blue and green tones, the sculpture references the past industrial prominence in its use of materials and the current recreational focus of the Waterfront area in design. The wall has remained virtually free of graffiti since the 1998 installation.

Photo by Michael Weizenegger